I'm lucky to have a job that allows me to go to different places. My most recent out of the country trip for work took me to Thailand for the first time. =) And as a first timer, here are some of the things I think one should do when in Bangkok:
|Photo collage made using www.photovisi.com / All photos were taken by me|
1) Shop, shop, shop - I didn't do much of this since I was out on official business, but if I had the time and extra money, I'd shop to my heart's content. Platinum Mall is filled with lots of trendy and cheap clothes while Siam Paragon has the upscale shops for your designer fix.
2) Eat Mango with Sticky Rice - It's super yummy. It's like our native suman, but sweeter and more sticky with sweet yummy mango and rice crispies on top. =)
3) Have Tom Yum - Yup, there's nothing better than eating Tom Yum in its country of origin. Yum! Indeed.
4) Ride the tuktuk - This one is just for the experience I guess, since they charge differently especially if they notice you're not a local.
5) Visit a temple - I didn't get to visit the old and big temples since I was in the city, but I was lucky to chance upon this holy place in the middle of the city while walking. The temples were small, but grand none the less.
6) Ride the Skytrain - It's the easiest way to get around Bangkok, I think, since traffic is bad when you take a cab.
7) Go to Terminal 21 - For a unique shopping experience, this new mall, Terminal 21 is a great destination. Though the stuff sold are a bit pricier, the ambiance is worth taking the trip. It's designed like an airport and each floor is designed like a different country or city. Every floor transports you to a different place - from London, US, Japan to Rome and Paris.
So there, that's just my bit from my trip to Bangkok. Would love to go back for leisure soon. =)